Tuesday, September 14, 2010

music for the drunk and lonely. the best kind.



another Walkmen album. another record to get me through the winter. the most consistent band of the early 2000s New York indie boom has put out Lisbon today, probably their best album since Bows & Arrows (although to be honest i love all of them about the same). how these guys haven’t been more successful has always been of one of the great mysteries of the last decade. the Walkmen have done nothing to fuck up their young Dylan fronting a british post-punk band sound because smart bands don’t fuck with what works. if you are a fan then you will like it. if you aren’t a fan...well what the fuck is wrong with you?

4 comments:

Jerry Hinnen said...

I gotta say, I think "The Rat" is one of the top 10 songs of the Aughts, but I tried and tried and tried to get into the rest of Bows and Arrows and couldn't do it. I just couldn't pay attention the entire time. I feel like I'm missing out, because I've heard a lot of people talk about them the way you talk about them, JRS, but I guess they're just not my cup of tea.

JR Suicide said...

That's a shame dude. I love them, easily my favorite 2000s indie band. I just dig their moody vibe. Very much like Bob Dylan fronting Echo and The Bunnymen with some Velvet Underground thrown in for good measure. They're just perfect cold weather music...plus they are a truly awesome live band. Well if you're willing to give them amother shot, download the songs "woe is me" & "angela surf city" off Lisbon. If you don't like those then you prob won't like anything else.

Jerry Hinnen said...

I'll give them a listen. It's been a while since I've made an effort with the rest of B&A, too; maybe it's time to try again. (Though I can't say the Dylan and Velvet Underground comparisons make me confident ... sacrilege, I know, but those are both artists I find myself respecting more than loving.)

JR Suicide said...

i'm just gonna blame that on you growing up in the state of alabama...and call it a wash.

i kid, because i love.