Friday, June 13, 2008

A Salute to Dad

it's almost Father's Day. time to go find a crappy card at Target or get the old guy a tie he'd never want. or better yet, give him a call or go for a visit.

this blog is a constant reminder for me of my dad. hell your dad is the reason you root for (x) shitty football/baseball/basketball/college team. unless you are one of those douchebag kids who rooted for the Cowboys and Yankees and Bulls and Miami Hurricanes...if that's the case there is just no hope for you. for most of us dad got you at a very impressionable young age and molded you into a mini clone fan of himself.

maybe it happened when i was a little guy and my dad was listening to the Iron Bowl over the radio and he woke me up screaming as Bo went over the top. maybe it was that first Auburn game he took me to in 1987 when the Tigers crushed Texas 31-3. maybe it was the fact that everyone else in my family were Alabama fans and Dad was a Tiger and a little boy is never gonna go against his dad. whatever it was made me an Auburn Tiger for life.

thanks for taking me to my first baseball game when we lived outside Pittsburgh, even if the only thing i can really remember about going to see the Pirates' game was that we got a flat tire on the way there from a pothole.

no thanks for living in Georgia and offering the Falcons as my best NFL option. but hey, geography is a bitch sometimes.

thanks for all the times you coached me in baseball. sure my teams always sucked but those were always the seasons i enjoyed the most, mostly because you weren't one of the asshole coaches who thought he was in the majors. you realized that being my baseball coach was just an opportunity to be involved with your kid and i always appreciated that. plus you let me play second base and centerfield and pick my number first before any of the other kids could get the one i wanted.

and thanks for being a good dad.

happy fathers day.

see ya sunday.

No comments: