Monday, February 18, 2008

My Top 10 Football Movies



so football season is over. it's all very depressing. the occupy myself this weekend i ended up watching a marathon of football movies on FX. well marathon might be a strong word, but i did end up watching Friday Night Lights and Any Given Sunday...both great football movies. and that got me thinking, what are my top 10 favorite football movies? this is the list i came up with.

1. Friday Night Lights- easily my favorite football movie of all time. hell it's my favorite sports movie of all time. fuck it's one of my favorite movies of all time.

2. North Dallas Forty- the first realistic football movie that exposed the darkside of pro football. drugs, booze, women, playing hurt, getting screwed by the front office. and nick nolte totally rules.

3. Remember The Titans- black people and white people unite together and fight racism and win a championship. everyone feels better about themselves.

4. Any Given Sunday- the movie that showed jamie foxx could act. a little too flashy for it's own good, but has really awesome football sequences.

5. All The Right Moves- tom cruise as a hot shot highschool prospect trying to get out of his shitty town and go to college. his least gay role ever.

6. The Longest Yard (the original version)- burt reynolds. prison. the 70s. nuff said.

7. Necessary Roughness- it's actually kind of a terrible movie, but i've seen it about 100 times on HBO and it has a special place in my heart because of that. the plot involves a college team being put on probation that results in them getting a one time highschool football legend to come out of retirement in his late 30s and use his college eligibility to come save their team...this idea was so inspiring that Florida State would basically do the same thing with Chris Weinke. also it features Sinbad.

8. Brian's Song- the movie that makes all grown men cry.

9. Varsity Blues- one of my all time guilty pleasures.

10. The Program- although it's totally dated and kinda lame, it's also one of the most realistic movies ever about all the shady shit that goes on at big time college football programs.

also i would like to note that Rudy fucking sucks my balls.

reposted here from my new pointless blog http://makinglists.blogspot.com

4 comments:

The Auburner said...

You forgot The Waterboy. Other than that - excellent list.

kenniebloggins said...

I thought Necessary Roughness would make it. Another notable football movie is Quarterback Princess, which is awesome. Yeah, you pretty much covered all of them, and I was happy to see The Program in the top 10

kenniebloggins said...

oh, wait, I skipped it somehow. So, yeah, awesome list!

JR Suicide said...

shit. you know what i totally forgot about? Wildcats!