Thursday, July 16, 2009

What I Learned During the 09 All Star Game

While watching the Allstar game on Tuesday I realized something...baseball is dead to me.

I don't know anything about baseball outside of the Atlanta Braves, and even that is spotty at best. I didn't know just as many guys who were playing as did. In the past this would've been a sin for me, now it just tells me 2 things: 1, baseball is having a generational changeover right now and most of the stars from the 90s and early 2000s are retiring/ getting exposed for steroid abuse/ turning into marginal bit players. And 2, I could really give a fuck about baseball anymore because of ESPN's constant northeastern bias to all thing YANKS/SOX and also Mets and Phillies to the point that I never watch even a second of Baseball Tonight (a show I worshipped as a teen) and never watch a televised baseball game that does not involve Atlanta.

And so it has become official: baseball, the sport I played from 6-16 and loved even longer...the thing is obsessed over as a kid even more than Auburn football or comic books has become a sport I know nothing about and care even less. The NFL, College Football, March Madness, the NBA, & Ninja Warrior (the show on Spike TV where lil' Japanese dudes try to make it through an obstacle course) are all sports i'd rather watch than a Major League Baseball game.

And so it goes.

No comments: